I have been thinking about this for a while now. A submissive almost always has to take the risk of being vulnerable to the dominant, with some degrees of unconditional trust placed on the dominant. I am using the term dominant to indicate straight males although I know that dominants come in all genders and sexuality. Let us hope that the dominant has done well for himself and has truly earned that trust. However, a D/s relationship is about balance. So, in what ways should a dominant create an environment of trust? Should a dominant show his hand? Show his vulnerability so the submissive knows that he too is opening up to her, that she could begin to see him as her friend, her confidant, her trusted one? I am a love slave. I cannot submit unless I feel stirrings in my heart. Any other submission during scening is for play purpose only if my heart is not connected, mind unengaged, and soul unfulfilled. Any dominant who has matched me, made himself vulnerable to me too, in the sense that he too opened up, discussed his demons, opened his heart to me, captured my mind, and made me feel entirely crazy about him. The risks are great in this kind of engagement because the chance of getting hurt is extremely high for both parties. However, I am not sure that operating from a place of fear gets one very far although it is a good strategy for self-preservation.
I have never been able to submit to a dominant who didn't reveal his cards to me. Dominants who have multiple play partners, who play hard to get, who do not reveal their emotions, who control how much they give me access always felt closed off to me, unmatched, and I mirrored them accordingly. Because a D/s relationship is a mirrored relationship, if I, as a submissive, open up my heart in order to submit, I need him to accept me in his heart as his.
However, we are driven by fear many times. The fear of being hurt, rejected, abandoned, etc. engulfs us, consumes us, and we drive our relationships using that filter only to recreate the same narratives of our lives repeatedly and wonder why the same assholish things keep happening to us. I have a theory to that. There is no need to live in fear. There is no need to judge anyone else for what they do to us. Any form of judgment towards others is a sign of our lack of unconditional acceptance of who we are, the good, the bad, and the ugly. If it is possible to accept all versions of self unconditionally then it is also possible to not be a permanent character in one's own pain stories.
So should dominants be vulnerable? Well as a submissive my vulnerability looks different from that of a dominant's. However, yes, I do expect the dominant I end up being with to open up to me, to tell me his desires, expectations, to become my friend, to open up his heart, to be open, to remain open, to openly engage, to allow whatever happens to happen and embrace it and not let fear be the guiding factor. Yes that does make us all so vulnerable. But, what if you could stop for one minute living in that fear, romancing your past ghosts, and become open to the possibility of the greatest experience ever, what do you think you will find?

Ahhh fear. Our constant companion. No sooner we have faced him down, drawn on our reserves, fear has empowered us! But he has not gone. He has not retreated. He is ready to pounce on our next step.
ReplyDeleteYou keep facing your fears... tips my hat to you.
:)